Designation : Professor, Pathologist
Contacts - No.: 022-24177000 (Extn: 7269)
- Awarded grand prize for Best electronic poster exhibit at the International Skeletal Society Meeting, Rome, 12th -15th Sept. 2012
- Won second prize in poster competition at the Asia Oceania Research Organisation on Genital infections and Neoplasia (AOGIN)-India National Conference held on TajLands End, Bandra, Mumbai from 5-6 Nov 2011.
- Awarded SmtKuntiMehrotra Award for best published paper by IAPM, for the year 2012.
- Awarded 2012 Association of Molecular Pathologists (AMP) International Membership Grant
- Awarded 2013 Association of Molecular Pathologists (AMP) International Membership Grant
- Received Travel fellowship from Department of Science and Technology (D.S.T.), Ministry of Health, New Delhi and Sir Dorabji Trust, Mumbai and from CCSTD (Centre for cooperation of Technologies among developing societies)
- Awarded certificate of excellence for presentation at the Founder’s day at the Institute of pathology-I.C.M.R. on 17th May 2004
- Featured in International Biographies, including Marquis Who’s Who Asia and the World.
- Trained Surgical Pathologist, including in cytopathology and related molecular pathology.
- DMGs : Bone an Soft Tissues, Gynaecology
- Special Interests :Soft Tissue tumors (Adult and pediatric), Bone tumors, Gynaec Oncopathology, Cytopathology
- Research - major Projects/Intradepartmental studies (Accomplished):
- Audit of Biopsies from Trunk and Extremity-based Soft Tissue Tumors (400 cases). IRB: 1127.
Other accomplished studies
- Clinicopathological features with outcomes of a series of conventional and proximal-type epithelioid sarcomas, diagnosed over a period of 10 years.
- Scope of FNAC in diagnosis of soft tissue tumors-A study from a tertiary Cancer Referral Center in India.
- Clinicomorphological features of a series of 10 cases of malignant triton tumors diagnosed over 10 years.
- Spectrum of cytomorphological features, including literature review, of an extraskeletalmyxoidchondrosarcoma with t (9; 22) (q22; q11.2) translocation in one case.
- Utility of Brachyury as a new age marker in the diagnosis of chordomas.
- Histomorphological spectrum of malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors (MPNSTs) in 63 cases, with outcomes,.
- Low Grade Fibromyxoid Sarcoma And SclerosingEpithelioidFibrosarcoma- A Clinicopathological Study Of 16 cases, Including Identification Of 'relationship' Between These Two Sarcomas.
- Evaluation of Atypical Squamous Cells on Conventional Cytology Smears – An Experience from an Opportunistic Screening Programme at a Tertiary Cancer Centre in Mumbai, India.
- Morphological spectrum, immunohistochemical analysis and clinical features of a series of granular cell tumors of soft tissues and skin - A study from a tertiary referral cancer centre.
- Primary Leiomyosarcoma of the bone– A clinicopathological study of 8 uncommon cases with immunohistochemical analysis and clinical outcomes.
- Immunohistochemical Validation of TLE1, a Novel Marker, on 42 Synovial Sarcomas, including 21 cases Confirmed with Molecular Analysis.
- Alveolar soft part sarcoma- A Clinicopathological study of 48 cases from a Tertiary Cancer Referral centre, including TFE3 expression in 22 cases and 21 other tumors.
- Desmoplastic Small Round Cell Tumor- A Review of Morphological Spectrum, including Unusual features, and Immunohistochemical Analysis of 45 Tumors diagnosed at a Tertiary Cancer Referral Centre, with Molecular Results (EWS-WT1) in Select Cases.
- Spectrum of neuroendocrine carcinomas of the uterine cervix, including histopathological features, terminology, immunohistochemical profile and clinical outcomes, in a series of 50 cases from a single Institution in India.
- Critical histopathological analysis of 25 Dedifferentiated Liposarcomas, including Uncommon Variants from a Tertiary Cancer Referral Centre.
- Clinicopathological Spectrum of 19 Adenosarcomas of Female Genital Tract, including Uncommon Clinical Associations and Immunohistochemical Profile, Reviewed at a Tertiary Cancer Referral Centre.
- Histopathological, immunohistochemical and molecular spectrum of myoepithelial tumors of soft tissues.
- Clinicopathological Profile of 58 Ewing Sarcomas/PNETs, including Molecular Results with Validation of EWSR1 Rearrangement by Conventional and Microarray FISH Technique in Certain Cases.
- Immunohistochemical Expression of INI1/SMARCB1 in 49 Malignant Tumors, Including its Value in Diagnosis of Epithelioid Sarcomas.
- Histopathological, Immunohistochemical and Molecular Cytogenetic Analysis of 22 Spindle Cell / SclerosingRhabdomyosarcomas
As a Co-Investigator
- S.T.A.R.T. (Screening technologies to advance rapid testing for cervical cancer prevention) project in collaboration with Tata Memorial Hospital Mumbai, NargisDutt Cancer Memorial Hospital, Barshi, International Agency for Research in Cancer (I.A.R.C), Lyon, France and Programme for Appropriate Technology in Health (PATH), Seattle, USA by the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation. The project envisages development of a rapid test for cervical cancer screening with two major companies i.e. Digene and Arbor vitae.
- Association of host immunogenetic factors with Human Papillomavirus (HPV) infection in development of cervical cancer in Indian women. Project no. 731.
- T.O.S.S. (Trial for optimal survival in soft tissue sarcomas)
- Detection of Molecular and Immunohistochemical markers in high-grade osteogenic sarcoma-a tumor with highest incidence in pediatric patients. Project No. 448.
- Raman spectroscopic study on classification of cervical cell specimens.
1. 2.Hox genes in epithelial ovarian cancer heterogeneity.
Audit of Biopsies from Trunk and Extremity-based Soft Tissue Tumors (400 cases). IRB: 1127.Accomplished.
Poster presentations during annual meeting of APCON (I.A.P. M ) and Cytocon (I.A.C)
My Recent Publications (2012-13): 27
- Rekhi B, Vogel U, Basak R, Desai SB, Jambhekar NA. Clinicopathological and Molecular Spectrum of Ewing Sarcomas/PNETs, Including Validation of EWSR1 Rearrangement by Conventional and Array FISH Technique in Certain Cases.PatholOncol Res 2013 Nov 30. [Epub ahead of print]
- Rekhi B, Aggarwal S. Pleomorphic hyalinizingangiectatic tumor exhibiting intricate branching vasculature: An interesting pattern in a rare tumor. Indian J PatholMicrobiol. 2013 Jul-Sep;56(3):321-3. doi: 10.4103/0377-4929.120414. PubMed PMID: 24152526.
- Rekhi B, A Jambhekar N. Immunohistochemical validation of INI1/SMARCB1 in a spectrum of musculoskeletal tumors: An experience at a Tertiary Cancer Referral Centre. Pathol Res Pract.2013 Aug 30.doi:pii: S0344-0338(13)00212-4. 10.1016/j.prp.2013.08.008. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 24075062.
- Gulia S, Bajpai J, Gupta S, Maheshwari A, Deodhar K, Kerkar RA, Seth V, Rekhi B, Menon S. Outcome of Gestational Trophoblastic Neoplasia: Experience from a Tertiary Cancer Centre in India.ClinOncol (R CollRadiol). 2013 Sep 16. doi:pii: S0936-6555(13)00328-2. 10.1016/j.clon.2013.08.010. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 24051171.
- Shah A, Rekhi B,Maheshwari A, Jambhekar NA. Low-grade Müllerianadenosarcoma with prominent decidualization, involving bilateral ovaries against a background of endometriosis: a diagnostic and treatment challenge. J Postgrad Med. 2013 Apr-Jun;59(2):149-52. doi: 10.4103/0022-3859.113833. PubMed PMID: 23793320.
- Rekhi B.Perineurial malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor in the setting of multiple soft tissue perineuriomas: a rare presentation of an uncommon tumor. J Cancer Res Ther. 2013 Jan-Mar;9(1):131-4. doi: 10.4103/0973-1482.110381. Review. PubMed PMID: 23575095.
- Rekhi B,Verma A, Gulia A, Kumar R, Dhanda S, Jambhekar NA. Metastatic paraganglioma presenting as a primary shoulder mass. Skeletal Radiol. 2013 Nov;42(11):1617-22. doi: 10.1007/s00256-013-1651-2. Epub 2013 May 31. PubMed PMID: 23722292. Committees :Member Data and Safety monitoring subcommittee. Secretary, Bone and Soft Tissues, Disease Management group. Co-ordinator for Grossing and Autopsy section of surgical pathology.
- Indian association of pathologists and microbiologists (I.A.P.M.) - Life member
- International Academy of Cytology (M.I.A.C.) U.S.A.
- American Society of Cytopathology (M.A.S.C)
- College of American Pathologists ( Affiliate)
- Indian Association of Cytologists- Life member
- Member of the working group of cytology of European Group of Pathologists
- Association of Molecular Pathology2012-13 .
- Indian Musculoskeletal Oncology Society (IMSOS) .Life Member
- International Academy of Pathology-Indian Division
Recent Conference Participation (Year 2013)
- Rekhi B, Sable M, Jambhekar NA. Clinicopathological Spectrum of 14 Myoepithelial Tumors, Primarily Involving Soft Tissues, Including Immunohistochemical Profile and EWSR1 rearrangement in a Subset of Cases. Poster presentation. USCAP 2013, Baltimore, Maryland, USA. March 1st
- Shirke-Satpute SN, Rekhi B, Desai S, Puri A, Agarwal M, Jambhekar NA. Correlation of MDM2, p53 and MIB-1 Expression with Response to Neoadjuvant Chemotherapyin High-GradeExtremity Osteosarcomas and Clinical Outcome Poster presentation. Co- author. USCAP 2013, Baltimore, Maryland, USA. March 1st -8th 2013.
- Invited as guest faculty for oral presentations in the International Congress of Cytology, session on Advances in Cytopathology in the Subcontinent - Slide Seminar, organized by the International Academy of Cytology, on 26th presented: Complex papillary hyperplasia of endometrium- A diagnostic challenge and scar endometrosis mimicking metastatic adenocarcinoma, a diagnostic trap.
- Invited as guest faculty for oral presentations in CME on Gynaecological Oncology at SUVARNA JNMC, Belgaum, Karnataka from 16th of surgical pathologist in Gynaecological Cancers. Panel discussions onEndometrial carcinoma and gestational trophoblastic disorders. a. Delivered a guest Lecture oration for Launch of Karnataka Chapter of Indian Academy of Cytologists at SDM Medical College and Hospital, Dharwad from 30th Topic: Role and Scope of FNAC of Soft tissue Tumors. How much further have we come. Also judged the poster sessions in this CME.
- Delivered guest lecture oration for the session Dr R.N. Ghosh Memorial CME 2013 IAPM, West Bengal Chapter, at North Bengal Medical College. Sushrutanagar, Darjeeling on 7 September 2013. Topic: Role and Scope of Cytology in Soft issue Tumors: How much th further have we come.
- Delivered guest lecture oration for the session Conference IAPM, West Bengal Chapter, at North Bengal Medical College. Sushrutanagar, Darjeeling on 8th Topic: Gynecological Oncopathology-Challenges, Cases, Updates.
- Invited Speaker (Faculty) for CME on 14th Maharashtra. Session: Surgico-Pathological Staging of Primary Peritoneal, Ovarian and Fallopian Tube Serous Carcinomas. Topic: Grading of ovarian, primary peritoneal & fallopian tube serous carcinoma.Aurangabad, Maharashtra.
- Invited Speaker (Faculty) for CME on 14th Maharashtra. Session: CT Guided FNAC of Pelvic Lesions. Topic: Cytopathology of Pelvic sarcomas.Aurangabad, Maharashtra.
- Chaired session on proffered papers in Bone and Soft Tissue Pathology. December, APCON, 2013, Aurangabad, Maharashtra.
- Oral presentation as a faculty at the OrthOncoCon 2013, Tata Memorial Hospital, 28th Nov 2013. Topic: Beyond conventional histopathology. 29th
- Oral presentation (4 cases) at 4th 2013, Tata Memorial Hospital, 28th
- Poster presentation. Rekhi B, Menon S, Maheshwari A. Complex papillary hyperplasia of the endometrium-An uncommon case report, including cytopathological features and diagnostic implications. Cytocon 2013, Puducherry, 4th
- Poster presentation. Ponda S, Rekhi B. Small cell carcinoma in common bile duct brushing: A rare cytopathological diagnosis. Cytocon 2013, Puducherry, 4th 2013.
- Invited Speaker (Faculty) International CME in OncoPathology Organized by Pravara Medical College and Indian and International Society of Oncopathology. Pravara Medical College, Loni, Maharashtra. 4th Tissue Tumors, Including Newer Entities, Tumor Relationships and Newer IHC Markers. Ortho-Radio-Patho Meeting at the OrthOncoCon -29th Nov 2013. -5thJan 2013. Topic: Recent Advances in Soft
- Invited Speaker (Faculty) International CME and National Congress of Academy of Pathology on 6th Hospital, Bangalore.Topic: Newer Entities, Immunohistochemical Markers and Relationships within Soft Tissue Tumors. Panelist in diagnostic difficulties in Histopathology.
- Invited Speaker (Faculty) Tata Memorial Hospital (Women’s Cancer Initiative) 26th October. Topic: Insights into pathology of Epithelial Ovarian Cancer.
- Invited Speaker (Faculty, Panelist) Dermazone West and CUTICON Maharashtra 2013, October, Ramada Hotel and Convention Centre, Powai, Mumbai. Topic: Session on 19th Melanomas , 7th& 8th February 2014. M.V.J. Medical College and Research
My introduction IF I am your speaker:
I am a trained, full-time, consultantoncopathologist at tertiary care cancer hospital. Apart from reporting on all types of surgical oncopathology specimens, including from all body sites,I pursue my special interests in soft tissue tumors, gynaecpathology, cytopathology and related molecular pathology.
I have been involved in various clinicopathological studies related to soft tissue tumors and gynaecpathology; immunohistochemical analysis of various tumors, including validation of newer diagnostic markers and molecular pathology, latter, currently related to soft tissue tumors. Presently, I am focusing upon relationship between various soft tissue tumor entities and in future intend to work on certain prognostic biomarkers. I enjoy, reading, listening music and travelling, especially to historic places and museums (History and Science).